Thursday 5 November 2009

Fire protests

HUNDREDS of protestors are expected to march through Warwick next month as anger over plans to close the town’s fire station continues to grow.

The march has been organised by independent Warwick district councillor Karen Scarrott who is backing the bid to keep the fire station open following the death of her 14-year-old daughter, Jade, who was killed in a road accident in 2004.

Mrs Scarrott said: “This is the last opportunity for residents to come together and stand united against the proposals.

“There are so many reasons why we need to keep Warwick fire station open. There is the increase in housing development and it goes without saying there is a hospital here.

“I also have a personal interest in this because my daughter, Jade, was killed five years ago in a collision in Leamington. Firefighters were there within minutes.

“From that I know firemen work from the heart, that’s the type of people they are.”

Protestors are set to meet on December 6 at 11.30am at the town’s Racecourse by Hill Close Gardens.

The march to Shire Hall will start at noon, before heading to the fire station in Albert Street.

It is hoped people from all over the country will attend.

Mrs Scarrott added: “I’ve had very positive feedback from Warwickshire, and people from further afield have also said they’ll come along and support us.

“Firefighters do so much for the community. There is also the risk of increased flooding, which firefighters are vital for.

“My house flooded in 1998 which you never would have expected because Warwick is on a hill.

“I’m all for moving with the times, but you shouldn’t fix what isn’t broken.

“Firefighters can’t be in two places at once and they shouldn’t be forced to choose between incidents.

“I’m a Warwick girl born and bred. Five generations of my family are Warwickians. The fire station has been in Warwick for years and it is still very much needed.”

MP James Plaskitt is also backing the march.

Last week he met with the chief fire officer, Graeme Smith, to discuss the planned closures.

He said: “I’m concerned by the closures across Warwickshire and I’m keeping in touch with similar campaigns in other areas. But I’m concentrating my efforts on Warwick as it’s within the constituency that I was elected to represent.

“The county councillors need to listen to the concerns of people all over Warwickshire and re-think their plans.

“They seem to be more concerned with saving money than saving lives. I met with the chief fire officer and put some of the many points people have raised with me directly to him. Once again, I did not receive any reassuring answers.”

A final decision on the proposals, which would also see Kenilworth fire station close, is expected to be made by county councillors after the public consultation ends in December.

The month sees the last eight of 19 public meetings take place.

Chief fire officer, Graeme Smith, said: “I hope that I have made it clear to all residents that despite what has been reported, this is a true consultation, which needs the views of Warwickshire residents.”

All responses to the consultation need to be in by the closing date on December 8 in order to be con-
sidered.

No comments:

Post a Comment